Long Marton or "Meretun" = "The farmstead with a pool or mere."
In early records it frequently appears as Merton and does not acquire "Long" until the 16th century, probably as a result of the long shaped parish which extends from Knock in the north to Brampton in the south.
Apparently in the 13th century Merton was known as "parvum vivarium de Merton" which means the small fish pool of Merton, thus making Merton the place where fish were fed for the table (as Dufton was the place for pigeons).
The Veteripont family are the earliest recorded "owners" of Long Marton during the reign of Henry III. It then passed to the Cliffords during the reigns of Edward III and Richard II, then to the Hollands. Sir John de Holland held the manor in 1392, also in Richard II's reign.
During the reigns of Henry V and Henry VI it was held by the Gray family, but after that it fell into the hands of Henry VIII. It is presumed that the Gray estates were forfeited to the Crown.